Monday 10 September 2012

Ruthie Sommers


Ruthie Sommers is my hero. Really. 
Is there anything she touches that doesn’t turn to design gold? Not as far as I'm concerned.

So it drives me crazy sometimes. 
If I had to pinpoint, what is that elusive quality that I so admire in her spaces?

Okay, well for starters, her spaces never feel contrived. 
I love the quote by Elsie de Wolfe as it resonates: 
“I have grown a little tired of over-careful decorations. 
Somehow the feeling of homeyness is lost when the decorator is too careful”.

How true. My humble opinion, but a space is not nearly as compelling when it feels deliberate. Ruthie's spaces never feel over-thought, over-worked or intimidating. Somehow she never disappoints in achieving that delicate balance between aesthetic and accessibility.

Source: Lonny

Her spaces read like an invitation to lunch.  
Come on in and have a seat. Don’t mind the beauty that surrounds. 
Now that’s talent.

Source: Lonny

And then there’s the way she imbues a sense of history and tradition in her spaces, yet somehow they feel ahead of their time in their novelty. Her interiors feel collected and effortlessly blend different periods and pieces. And there’s that balance factor again. She nails it.

Source: via ruthiesommers.com

Source: Lonny

But if I had to choose, I think what does it for me lies in the myriad details that are inimitably Ruthie. Consider: 

Source: Lonny


Source: via ruthiesommers.com


Source: via ruthiesommers.com



Source: via ruthiesommers.com


Not sure I'll ever be able to put my finger on exactly what it is about Ruthie. All I know is she's bold, creative and impossibly talented. 
And she remains forever... my hero ;).

C.


Source: via Chinoiserie Chic



Source: via Ruthie Sommers



No comments:

Post a Comment